ABOUT LEAD-JULY 3 TO 7, 2017
Franciscan LEAD is a five-day, Christ-centered, sacrament-soaked, prayer fueled immersion in Catholic teachings on leadership, evangelization, and discipleship inspired by the life and witness of St. Francis of Assisi. Our leadership philosophy is based on the foundation that youth leadership flows from a personal relationship with Christ. Therefore, we first give teens the tools to grow closer in their relationship with Jesus and then give them the essentials for servant leadership and evangelization.
DISCIPLESHIP, EVANGELIZATION & FUN!
To foster discipleship, teens will learn more about prayer, practical ways to pray and spend time in personal prayer every morning. Praise and worship is an integral form of group prayer during the week to foster hearts of worship and thanksgiving. They will encounter Christ in daily Mass, Eucharistic Adoration and Confession. Throughout the week, they will learn more about the persons of the Trinity and the Blessed Mother and grow in deeper relationship with Father, Son and Spirit. Men’s and women’s session provide an opportunity for teens to grow in their identity as sons and daughters in a smaller, more personal setting.
To equip them for evangelization, teens will learn how to share their personal witness/testimony with others and are given the opportunity to practice their witness in three minutes. They will also learn how to share their faith in the midst of the culture in which they live by learning about various cultural trends that can negatively impact one’s beliefs, such as relativism. As they leave the week, they are encouraged to go forth and serve with humility and love.
Franciscan LEAD is a lot of fun too! Teens come together from different parishes and youth groups to grow in community and friendship. Small group time throughout the week offers a place to share with and learn from other teens with the same desire to grow in holiness and share their faith with others.
The week is led by a team of young adults who have a passion for ministry and desire to share what the Lord has given to them. All of the facilitators attend a yearly training at Franciscan University. Many of the leaders are studying for futures in ministry or have graduated college and are actively working in full time ministry.
Franciscan LEAD is held the week before each Steubenville Youth Conference, beginning Monday and ending Friday afternoon when the participant will join his/her group for the weekend youth conference.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ST CYRIL TEEN TO ATTEND L.E.A.D.
- Have attended at least one Steubenville Youth Conference
- Please speak with me about your desire to attend before applying. You cannot attend without my recommendation. That is Franciscan’s rule, not mine. I will not recommend anyone who has not talked to me first.
- Applications will be accepted on a first come first serve basis. Your application and my recommendation does not guarantee your acceptance. There may, for example, be a space limitation.
- Be totally honest on your application. What you put on your application has no bearing on your acceptance.
- Priority will be given applications in the following order:
- Juniors, Seniors, Sophomore, Freshmen
- Either be involved or intend to be involved in our Youth Ministry Program after attending L.E.A.D.
- Applications can only be processed on-line. Please go to www.steubenville.org and go to the LEAD tab. At the bottom you will find the application. Once it is received, I will receive a request for referral. Once the referral is received the application process is complete
WHO SHOULD ATTEND L.E.A.D
- Any teen who having attended at least one Steubenville Youth Conference has a desire to take their Faith to the next level. To deepen their Faith. Understand what it means to be a Catholic teen in today’s world. Grow in their personal relationship with Jesus.
EXPECTATIONS OF L.E.A.D PARTICIPANTS
- Each person grows and develops in their Faith, in their understanding of what Christ is asking of us in different ways and on different timetables.
- A basic desire to take their Faith life to a new level.
- A desire to understand what it means to be a Disciple of Jesus
- Participation in our Youth Ministry Program. This is important because the objectives and goals of our youth ministry program are the same as those of Franciscan L.E.A.D.
- Desire and intent to be a leader in our Youth Ministry Program.
The cost of $370 includes training in discipleship and evangelization, resource book, official Franciscan LEAD t-shirt, and lodging/meals for the participant for the duration of the program. This cost does not include the registration fee for the conference weekend. Cost should not be a factor in your decision to attend. As you are aware we do fundraising. We will cover the full cost if that is necessary-or you can cover what you can and we will cover the rest. Cost should not be an issue. However, you are required to participate in the fundraisers.
HOW TO APPLY
The application for Franciscan LEAD is exclusively online and is NOW AVAILABLE.
The step by step process and link to the application is detailed at www.steubenvilleconferences.com/lead. I think it is a good idea for you to review this especially the paragraph on acceptance.The first part of the application is completed by the teen. Before you begin the application please have the following available-a digital photo that you can upload to the application-my name as your group leader and youth minister-my cell # 215.896.6649-my e mail email@example.com of our parish-our Diocese is Philadelphia-you are attending with St Cyril Youth Ministry. This same link also provides you with additional information on L.E.A.D. that you may want to review.
TESTIMONY OF L.E.A.D. PARTICIPANT
“Franciscan LEAD was an amazing experience and I strongly recommend it! Without giving too much away, it changed my life. Essentially, it’s a week where you get to know Christ so much more intimately in plenty of the things you do, but really in the people around you. There’s going to be this great group of people that are all in the common goal of knowing Christ as you are. They build you up and you truly learn what community is and how to see Christ in others. There’s nothing to worry about going into this week, absolutely nothing. Everyone’s nice and you can just tell that while they’re all as broken as everyone is, they’ve found that joy we’re all searching for and just want to grow intimately deeper with Him. LEAD changed my life, and it’s changed everyone’s I’ve talked to. It will change anyone who goes through it, I strongly recommend it.” -Kevin Andren, Franciscan LEAD Participant 2016